Later on, Ellen asked Michelle about her legacy and if she ever felt "pressure" to be the first African American First Lady of the United States. "Well, one of the things I know from sitting in this position, that every First Lady feels some level of pressure. I mean this is a big platform and you don't want to mess it up. So I wouldn't dare to compare my experience to any former First Lady, but I do take the role seriously," she said. "As I said in my convention speech, I know that kids are watching us, they're watching what we say, what we do, and Barack and I have tried to make sure that what kids are seeing is something that they can be proud of because It matters."
Michelle said it was an "honor" to be FLOTUS for the past eight years. "I wasn't the political spouse. I was very hesitant about this, but it's truly been an honor to serve, to travel this country, to meet so many great people," she told Ellen. "I have so much hope for this nation and I hope that everybody else does, too. We have some great young people. We've got great communities. I just wish everyone had the opportunity to travel the country like we have, because you would feel good every day about where we live. This is the best country on earth."